Monday, July 29, 2013

On Safari in a Gilbert, AZ Neighborhood

My wife and I made the 700-mile drive from our home in Utah to Gilbert, Arizona last Friday after hearing that our daughter had given birth to our second grandchild--a beautiful girl. She is a very content baby, to the delight of mom and dad. Mom and baby are doing very well. Big brother (2 1/2) loves his "baby sissy." Being a grandparent is the best!

During our visit to Arizona, we spent most of our time in the home, yard, and neighborhood, oohing and ahhing over the little one, playing with her big brother, and helping mom and dad fix and decorate around their new home. Our 2 1/2 year old grandson kept asking for "papa's nocalurs" (binoculars) after we used them to get a close look at a Desert Spiny Lizard on the wall in his backyard.

We went on a little safari several times during our visit. We re-discovered Desert Spiny Lizards (about 5 inches long from nose to vent--not including tail), Anna's Hummingbirds, and White-winged Doves around the yard.

Desert Spiny Lizard in Gilbert, AZ
Desert Spiny Lizard in Gilbert, AZ
Following the song of a White-winged Dove led to the discovery of a very weak looking nest barely held two young doves that would fledge a day later. I thought it was a peaceful sign to have two young White-winged Doves fledge from my daughter's tree while we were enjoying our two young grandchildren. 

I have to admit that the face of the young doves was a little odd at first sight. They were lacking significant facial feathers, had brownish rather than red irises, and dark rather than blue skin around the eyes. Here is an image of an adult for comparison with the fledgling images that will follow.

White-winged Dove in Gilbert, AZ

Before leaving the nest

Juvenile White-winged Dove Just Before Fledging in Gilbert, AZ
I tried to capture images of the young birds together and with a parent, but the many branches and leaves of the elm had me walking in circles to find a gap large enough to provide a view to more than just parts of birds.

Juvenile White-winged Dove in Gilbert, AZ

Juvenile White-winged Dove in Gilbert, AZ

Juvenile White-winged Dove in Gilbert, AZ
The only shot I managed with both parent and young in the same frame.

Adult and Juvenile White-winged Dove in Gilbert, AZ
Here are two other Doves seen around the neighborhood just as another round of Arizona's monsoon rain began to fall. While the temperatures were lower than we expected during our visit, the 70-80% humidity range had me thinking I was back home in Kentucky--sweating while standing in the shade.

White-winged Dove in Rain in Gilbert, AZ

White-winged Dove in Rain in Gilbert, AZ
I extended the safari to a nearby green space in my daughter's planned community one afternoon as I took a casual walk. It wasn't long before the the bird alarm sounded. I heard some Great-tailed Grackles getting upset over some sort of disturbance so I looked toward them and discovered a Greater Roadrunner on the ground beneath them. With little thought I ran back to the house as quickly as I could in my flip flops, grabbed my camera, and rushed back to the park. Fortunately, the roadrunner was still exploring the area under a Mesquite Tree when I returned. I was able to follow and photograph the fascinating bird as it moved along fence lines and climbed into and out of a tree.

Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
Making its way into the Mesquite Tree

Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
Standing directly below this bird allowed me to realize that roadrunners actually have eyelashes!

Looking up to Greater Roadrunner in Mesquite Tree in Gilbert, AZ
Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
As I stood below and admired this bird I decided to capture images I may never see again. For some reason my attention was drawn to one of its legs--the vent was an unintended bi-product of the peculiar perspective.

Leg of a Greater Roadrunner Perched in Mesquite Tree in Gilbert, AZ
Tail of a Greater Roadrunner Perched in Mesquite Tree in Gilbert, AZ
I decided to capture this image when I saw the sunlight penetrating the skin of its chin. The eyelashes were easily seen again as well.

Looking up to a Greater Roadrunner in a Mesquite Tree in Gilbert, AZ
I can only imagine he was curious about what I was doing when he cocked his head and looked straight down at me from his Mesquite perch.

Looking up to a Greater Roadrunner in a Mesquite Tree in Gilbert, AZ
I managed to capture several final images as he made his way across a wall and out of sight.

Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
It was a coincidence to have his tail feathers frame his eye in this image.

Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
A final roadrunner image provided a view of several of his unique features before he made his way to another playground.

Greater Roadrunner in Gilbert, AZ
I wasn't sure what might follow such an encounter with a roadrunner, but I was pleased to meet a nice neighbor whose backyard bordered the green space. He had some bird feeders in his yard and shared a like-passion for birds and nature. We visited for a while as juvenile Verdins and Anna's Hummingbirds paid their visits above and around us. Young Verdins are quite plain in the appearance. They lack the yellow face and red shoulders of the adults

Juvenile Verdin in Gilbert, AZ
Here is an image of an adult I captured during a previous visit to the Riparian Preserve at Gilbert Water Ranch. It shows what the young birds lack in their appearance.

Adult Verdin at Riparian Preserve at Gilbert Water Ranch Gilbert, AZ
The male Anna's Hummingbird below provided a great example of how the iridescent gorget and head feathers of these birds can change from dull and unassuming to a glaring rosy shield depending on our perspective and the influence of direct light. This is the same bird facing away and toward us.

Anna's Hummingbird in Gilbert, AZ

Anna's Hummingbird in Gilbert, AZ

When you need to have some quiet time to recharge your batteries or renew your appreciation for life, go on a little safari and observe the diversity and beauty of the world around you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me see these delightful youngsters through your eyes, Jeff. The close-ups of the roadrunners are the best I've ever seen. How lucky you were to get that location & light. Arizona Highways or New Mexico magazine (it's the state bird of NM, if memory serves) might be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I've enjoyed photographing nature, but I've never really pursued getting published. It would be interesting. I'll check out the recommendations you made.

      Delete