Monday, November 18, 2013

Moon to Loon: Am I a Loony Bird?

I've been fascinated with the moon recently. I'm not sure why, but I've found it fascinating. I've heard several times that "loony" is short for lunatic. Lunatic is associated with lunar, or the moon. In particular, a full moon brings the crazy out of some people. It's been more than once that people thought my birding and bird photography habits were a bit loony. Well this past week I've watched the moon wax through its phases until I was able to see my first Pacific Loon under the light of a full moon. Let's start with the moon and work our way to the loon.

Here are a few images of recent moon phases photographed from my front porch in Pleasant Grove, UT.



Sunday night I heard that a Pacific Loon was observed on a small pond in an area known as Lake Park in West Valley City, Utah. I crossed my fingers and hoped it would remain overnight so I could see it before work and count it as a life bird (first time seeing one). It's location was just minutes from my office.

I skipped on my usual van pool and drove myself to work very early "Moon"day morning. I noticed a full moon in the sky and hoped it would give me enough light to see the loon on the water before heading to work. I wasn't sure how much light I'd get for photography before going to work so I determined to visit the pond during my lunch break, if necessary, to get satisfactory images of the rare loon.

I saw the loon on the water upon my arrival so I quickly sent an email from my smart phone to the local birding listservs that read:

"Stopped on my way to work. Loon (the bird, not the crazy guy in the cold and dark) is still on the water."

Another local birder arrived and we chatted while waiting for the sun to rise above the mountains to the east. An immature Snow Goose mixed in a flock of Canada Geese flew in over our heads while we were talking. A starling (great mimics) was imitating an American Kestrel, a Common Nighthawk, and other birds. The nighthawk imitation by a Starling was a first for me.  I began to wonder if I might really be going loony at that point.

The sun slowly rose much like watching a pot of water boil. It always takes longer when you are intently dependent on and waiting for the event to occur. Here are some images I captured of the Pacific Loon as the pink/orange light from the rising sun was bouncing off the clouds.

Pacific Loon in Early Morning Sun at Lake Park in West Valley City, UT (Extremely rare for Salt Lake County, UT)
Pacific Loon in Early Morning Sun at Lake Park in West Valley City, UT (Extremely rare for Salt Lake County, UT)
With a little more sunlight the hues changed from the pink/orange color to more of the natural color of the loon.

Pacific Loon at Lake Park in West Valley City, UT (Extremely rare for Salt Lake County, UT)
Pacific Loon at Lake Park in West Valley City, UT (Extremely rare for Salt Lake County, UT)
Thank you, Moon, for turning me loony in recent weeks. Thank you, Loon, for straying from your normal migratory course and gracing crazy bird people in Salt Lake County, Utah with your unique presence.




4 comments:

  1. Great shots! What kind of lens/camera do you use to get your moon images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keeli. I used a Nikon D7100 body with a 300mm f4 lens and 1.4x teleconverter for the first moon images. I think I used a D5000 with a 70-300mm lens for the full moon shot.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This post would have never happened if you didn't find that loon for the rest of us. Thank you!

      Delete